Friday, August 28, 2009

transparency


I met a tiny baby today.  This little person was born 17 weeks early.  Perfect and precarious.  Hanging on life by a thread. 
      
A wonderful doctor is involved.  He spent 20 minutes or so talking me through the plans and hopes and challenges that are part of this story.  I learned about things that naturally take place in utero that are having to be contrived on the outside.  We peered at tiny ears, eyes still fused shut, beautiful but underdeveloped hands, shiny, clear, translucent skin.  That especially fascinated me.  Dr. W told me that the top layer of skin hadn't developed yet. That is why the arteries and veins were visible. 


      I watched his baby heart beating so fast.  And his tiny lips suck in air.  I saw him jerk with a startle reflex, then relax again inside his cozy incubator.  I felt like I was watching creation in process.  Awesome and sobering.  
    
 Hang in there little man.  I will think of you all weekend.  And you will be the first person I ask about and check on Sunday morning.


He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young.  Isaiah 40:11

1 comment:

  1. Wow! After an evening of trying to comfort a crying, screaming, perfect, beautiful little girl...I feel so blessed. Crying myself, after reading your blog, but blessed.

    ReplyDelete