Thursday, August 20, 2009

out chaplain'd

When you are a chaplain, you kinda get used to being "the spiritual one" in a room.  You expect that you will have to lead out in spiritual questions, take the hits for God, say the prayers and give the blessings.  But today two people out chaplain'd me.

After an unexpected death of a father and brother, family members poured into the large consult room in the EC.  With the last wave of family, the man's pastor entered, greeting everyone by name.  He politely asked me if he could have a prayer.  I said of course, thank you.  He then led that packed room in a spirited and meaningful conversation with God, through a chorus of amens, while I hung on for the ride.

Four hours later and six floors away another man was slowly losing his life.  As the monitors dropped I stood with three women.  One grabbed my hand and said "We need to say the 23rd Psalm!"  And so we did, fumbling and passionately  (them in KJV, me in NIV with a couple Thee's when I remembered)  "Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me. - Thank you Jesus, Thank you Jesus."

Both times I felt sheepish for not being the one holding all spiritual reins.  Both times I took a deep breath, remembering that I had a place in each room, and that God works through many people in so many ways.

Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.      1st Corinthians 12:27 NIV


1 comment: