Thursday, August 27, 2009

chaplain down

We've been whittled down to four.

So every morning we show up for morning report eager and concerned to hear how 1/4 of us managed the night alone in the big hospital. We are hoping for a cheerful "easy night, 3 calls, lots of sleep." When the report is bad and the night has been loaded, I feel a mixture of guilt (that I got to sleep in my bed at home) and relief (that I got to sleep in my bed at home).

This morning's report started normally. Then 1/4 of us reported that she had responded to a trauma in the early morning hours, ignored the blood, did her part, disregarded her light headedness, noticed the trauma bay was especially hot, thought she needed air, and....... came to on the floor in the doorway. 1/4 of us was wheelchaired into Chest Pain, to have blood drawn and heart rate monitered. 1/4 of us spent over an hour there, checking the bump on her head. 1/4 of us got supervisory chaplain support and breakfast and was feeling better even before she was told she was fine.

We watched her carefully this morning. And sent her home early this afternoon. With promises that she would take it easy. And then we tiptoed around.

Whew. So glad. So sorry. So relieved it happened to someone else first. It could have been me. It might still be me some time. Be careful 1/4. We aren't complete without you!

My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalms 73:26

No comments:

Post a Comment