Friday, August 21, 2009

nests

We've had a crazy stretch of on calls - between interns leaving and externs coming.   Saturday, Tuesday, Friday, Monday - in a row for me! Sleep deprived and on sensory overload, I've developed a little nesting ritual to make the on-call room home.

My LLBean bag packed to the gills with my pink striped blanket and pillow. A couple good books. My beloved laptop with netflix and itunes (for weekend ambiance). My black yoga pants and red shirt, comfy yet dressy enough under the white lab jacket. My eye mask and water bottle. A cup of fruit salad and animal crackers from the Tower Cafe.  And my phone for goodnights from Steve and Jake and Josh.

My nest is settled, cozy and mine.  And then the waiting begins......

On the phone in the on-call room there is a yellow sticky note with these beautiful words in Vicki's thoughtful handwriting. I read them every on-call night.

Now guide me waking, O Lord, and guard me sleeping; that awake I may watch with Christ, and asleep, I may rest in peace.  Amen


I really think that little bird looks like me!

1 comment: