Saturday, July 4, 2009

super chaplain!

I think we are all going to end this year with a couple super chaplain moments:  
those visits whose memory will sustain us through all 
the dismissals and rejections of regular days. 
So here's mine:  
I walk into a woman's room in major care and find her crying.  She doesn't know where she is or who she knows.  But by the time I realize this I'm already sitting next to her and am committed.  So I make small talk, and pat her arm and tell her I'm sorry and wonder how to exit gracefully.  When she starts crying again I grasp to be there.   "Are you hurting?"  "NO."   "Are you sad because you are confused?"  "YES." "Who would be comforting to you right now?"  "JESSICA"  She tells me Jessica is her daughter, and then spits out a number.  I write it down and tell her I will try to call.  I walk out and ask the nurse if I can use the phone to call Mrs. Jones' daughter.  A Doctor runs over.  "You got a name and number from her?  
Wow!  She's been here for 24 hours and none of us could get anything."   
AAAHHHH.  What a lovely moment of head swelling.  
Take that dismissive nurses and short sighted patients who rejected my offers of prayer.  
Watch out, super chaplain is here!!

But the Lord says, Now I will stand up.  Now I will show my power and might.  Isaiah 33:10  NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment