Thursday, July 30, 2009

little rooms

I've spent way too much time today in little rooms. Consultation room is the official name, but they could easily be called bad news rooms, crying rooms, your life is totally different rooms.   Little rooms with lots of kleenex.   

I get paged.  Meet a doctor.  Walk with them into a little room with family members gathered.  The doctor gives the bad news. It is either utter shock or resigned confirmation.  Grief erupts.  And I'm there to be, to comfort, to help, to guide this family through the first hour of sadness. 

Little rooms of sorrow - scrunched up faces, heaving shoulders, sniffing, runny noses, hugs and phone calls.  Some rooms get loud, others too quiet. Some rooms demand more information, others don't know what to ask.  Some rooms fill up quickly, some rooms I sit with just one other person wishing I could make things all better.  

I was called to four little rooms in the last 16 hours.  I'm getting hungrier for a place with no little rooms.

He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."  He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."   Revelation 21:4 &5 NIV

1 comment: