Monday, November 23, 2009

two peas


During rounds today on my heart floor, I stepped into room 432.  I introduced myself to the 80 year old woman sitting up in bed.  She had long, scraggly grey hair in two ponytails, a big tooth challenged smile, a heavy southern accent and a very fresh scar above her heart peaking out of the top of her nightgown.  


I struggled to make conversation, looking for a connection, common ground,  some similarity to build on, to extend empathy from.  I floundered.  And attempted to end our awkward meeting with the question "Is there anything I can do for you, Miss Smith?"
She surprised me by saying "how about a prayer?"


Jesus, we thank you for your promise to be with us no matter where we are.  Today we claim that promise in this hospital room.  Thank you for the gifted doctors and nurses who were able to repair Miss Smith's heart.  Thank you that she can go home soon.  Until then, please fill her with Your peace.  May she know that peace even in this hospital room as she heals.  Thank you Jesus.  Amen.


Miss Smith squeezed my hand.  She looked up at me.  "I want His peace.  I ask for it.  I put myself in His hands, then the littlest thing happens and I grab it back.  Crazy huh?"


My jaw dropped.  This little, elderly, unfamiliar patient just spoke my challenge.  Word for word. Wow.  We were like twins on a spiritual battle field.  Two peas in a pod.


I sat down again beside her.  "Yes, It's crazy.  I do the same thing, Miss Smith.  Why do you think we do that?".....


Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. 7 Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.  Philippians 4:6,7  NLT

1 comment:

  1. Triplets, really, you, she and I! Philippians 4:6,7-a great map to mental health!

    ReplyDelete