Saturday, November 28, 2009

blockage


Recently in the hospital we had a very cute baby with a very big tummy.  Turned out he had a jujunal atresia blockage.  Because he will be with us awhile, and because I asked,  I got a fascinating diagram and lesson on the digestive process and the intenstines.  Who knew they were so important?  Seems a section of the jejunum flopped over at some point in development.  It cut off the blood supply to the next section of intestine which became necrotic.  (Are you as impressed as I am that I know these big words?)  Every thing built up until the blockage got too big and exploded, maybe during delivery, and just seeped all over the abdominal cavity.  Could have been fatal.  Luckily this little man was born in 2009 at this great hospital with amazing doctors and nurses and he is going to be just fine.  But it will take a couple of delicate surgeries and weeks of healing and treatment to get him right back on track.


I've been thinking about how dangerous blockages can be.  Physical ones of course, but also emotional blockages, relational blockages, spiritual blockages.  Anything that cuts off the healthy stream of growth and sustenance.  I'm paying more attention to necroticish areas of my life that need intentional healing.  And what I can do to increase absorption of all kinds of life-affirming nutrients.


That happy little baby with the just-right-sized tummy inspires me.


Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him.  John 7:37, 38

1 comment:

  1. oh oh oh... love that phrase "necroticish areas of my life " - may I borrow it?

    ReplyDelete