Thursday, October 1, 2009

least of these


The patient in 912 requested a chaplain.  That meant I had to leave the cozy on call room and my fruit salad and tucking my boys in over the phone, and take the hike to 9 T,  past dark, cold windows.  (Not in the mood.)  It didn't help that when I arrived Mr. B was the scruffiest, scrawniest man I'd seen.  Unshaven, scabs on his ears, dental issues galore.  He began his litany of ailments - schizophrenia, blood clots, head aches, leg malfunction, crushed discs, etc.  (Oh, when can I get back to my little, quiet room?)  Then Mr. B told me that he didn't think he would make it much longer.  "I've been saved, but I've never been baptized. Will you baptized me tonight?"  I immediately began to wonder how that would logistically happen.  Because he could barely sit up, he said he would just like "the basics".


I got a tiny cup with warm water.  I pulled my chair closer and ask Mr. B if he knew the story of Jesus' baptism.  We talked about Jesus coming out of the water and hearing God's voice announcing His beloved son.  We talked about how we need a Savior, and forgiveness, and hearing God's voice calling us His beloved.  I felt my heart filling with love as I took Mr. B's wizened hand in mine and we prayed.  And in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit I poured the water down his forehead.  I watched it trickle down his cheeks and into his hair.   I dried his chin, so humbled to see the look of peace on his beautiful face.



What a privilege...



And a voice came from heaven: "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased."  Mark 1:11

2 comments:

  1. What a privilege to be to be God's heart and hands in this imperfect world. What a delight to watch Him change our perspectives. Thanks for sharing. M6

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm learning so much from you, thank you for sharing your whole self with us!

    ReplyDelete