Monday, October 12, 2009

crazy


Today I headed into Behavioral Health hoping to have some conver- sations.  Past the usual nappers I found a new lady sitting at the table looking out the window.  I sat down next to her, introduced myself, and asked how she was.  She looked me straight in the eye and announced "this place is making me crazy!"


GULP.  Keep serious look on face.  Nod until you have composed yourself.  Then breathe.  I was still amused after a couple minutes with her.  Surely my hospital couldn't have made her that crazy in 15 hours....


I have to admit though, there is a whole lot of crazy going on here. A lot of it outside Behavioral Health.
     The man in trauma bay 1 who thought it would be fun to drink and drive a moped 80 mph.  Crazy.
     The 15 year old girl who thought it would be cool to have unprotected sex.  Crazy.
     The 60 year old man, recovering from his 2nd open heart surgery who asked if he could be wheeled out to smoke. Crazy.
     The 4 chaplain residents who think they can finish the January on call calendar in the next 10 minutes without a few panic attacks.  Really crazy.


Nora Ephron said "insane people are always sure they are fine.  It is only the sane people who are willing to admit they are crazy."  That is a great reminder to me.  We are all crazy. Stark and raving at times. It just comes out in different ways.


I guide you in the way of wisdom and lead you along straight paths.  When you walk, your steps will not be hampered; when you run, you will not stumble. Proverbs 4:11 and 12  NIV

1 comment: