Thursday, October 8, 2009

hospitality


I am getting ready for company! Not just any company - VIP's from California.  (my mom and dad!) and then friends and family coming over to celebrate birthdays and baptisms and my new curtains.


I like having people over.  I like making sure the guest room is cozy, that there are warm blankets and a cool fan, little treats, clean towels, fun magazines, hot drinks, ingredients for a yummy meal.....  It involves detailed planning and people I love -my two favorite things!


In Images of Pastoral Care, Dykstra talks about the role of hospitality in the ministry of a chaplain.  It takes hospitality to another level.  I love the idea that hospitality begins with us finding inner peace.


What does hospitality as a healing power require?  It requires first of all that the host feel at home in his own house, and secondly that he create a free and fearless place for the unexpected visitor.  Therefore, hospitality embraces two concepts: concentration and community.

Keep on loving each other as brothers and sisters. Don’t forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it!  Hebrew 13:1,2 NLT

1 comment: