Tuesday, October 27, 2009

just because


In our diversity class today we discussed Enrique's Journey by Sonia Nazario.  This is the true story of a Honduran boy who braves unimaginable hardship and peril to find his mother who has left her starving children to find work in the United States to support them.   Enrique travels on train, bus, river and foot thousands of  miles to reach her.  He is robbed, beat up, starved and yet he never gives up. 

It had been such an eye opening, mind expanding read.  I felt like I had such a better understanding of central America, and the challenges of immigration.  And then our teacher asked us "What images of God did you see in this book."  Wow.  We talked about a God that will go to any lengths to be reunited with us.  A God who never gives up.  A God who made unimaginable sacrifices for His children.  A God who is bigger than borders and boundaries.


And what does that mean for us?  As spiritual beings?  As Chaplains?


This is my favorite moment in the book.  In Veracruz, residents mobilize at the first sign of a train.  They stand along the tracks and throw crackers and water and tortillas to the outstretched hands of the migrants.  Ciro Gonzalez, thirty-five, taught his daughter to do this.  He wants her to grow up right.


"Why do you give them food?" she asked him once.  Her father said, "Because they have traveled far and haven't eaten."


Wow.  Not because God told us to give.   Not because nice people share.  Not because we have more than they do.  Not because we are good.  Just because they are hungry people.


I thought about that in the halls today.  Not because I'm a chaplain.  Not because it is my job.  Not so I can midas you for credit.  Not because I should.  Just because you are a hurting human being.  


Thank you Enrique.


“And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’  Matthew 25:40 NLT

2 comments:

  1. Wow-made me want to read the book. Might be helpful when you introduce Enrique (for those who haven't read it) to add a sentence about Enrique and his journey-like "he at age.....traveled.....miles.....in search of......" That would make the comment about "a God that would go to any lengths to be reunited with us" even more meaningful.

    ReplyDelete