Tuesday, February 1, 2011

possibility

Today I subbed in for another chaplain at our inpatient facility.   With ten rooms filled I discovered that the patients that day were Pentecostal, Lutheran, Baptist, Catholic, Wesleyan, Presbyterian, "sorta Buddist" and Atheist.  I thought about Paul's goal of being all things to all people as I made the rounds.  (it was that or don my imaginary super woman cape.)


I remember reading that someone asked Elizabeth Kubler Ross "What happens if someone doesn't believe (the way I do)?"  She answered  "They will just be surprised at the transition. We all come from one God, we all return to one God. There is no discrimination after death."


I was in a Bible study group last fall.  One member was a KJV toting Bible scholar.  He knew the text and loved to debate.  One week a guest showed up and offered a heavily liberal opinion.  I waited for Mr. Scholar to jump all over it.  Instead he thoughtfully said "that's a possibility."


That's a possibility.  As the wise Robin might say "Possibilities invite you to keep being curious." I think about that as I listen to patients and families share common ground or quirky brands of faith that sustain them on their journeys.   I think about it when I am tempted to roll my eyes and when I am moved to tears.


For most of my life I have worried that walking into those ten rooms I wouldn't know the right thing to say.   Today, my lack of The Perfect Answer is key to my chaplaining.  The lid is off the box people!    Today I got to enjoy listening, learning and being included in some of those possibilities.

2 comments:

  1. ahhh, finally a new blog. Yes, Robin is wise, but for me, I'm getting to see how a new supervisor with a very different approach and style brings out focus on different things that we didn't give much attention to last year.

    I like your comments about possibility. I read a book recently that said in it, "Statements lead to static, but questions lead to conversation and possibilities." Yarr, N

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to be more of a question and less of a statement person! M6

    ReplyDelete