Friday, February 18, 2011

unreliable historians

Ten minutes with Mr. Gray yesterday and I was ready to start my new career swirling yogurt at TCBY.  Mr. Gray is a cranky fellow who wanted me to hear all about how his neighbor/ex-friend was stealing money and guns from his home while he was "trapped here in this ridiculous facility." This had happened many times before, he assured me.  And he always got his property back, one way or another.  But this time he had had it.  She was in "big trouble."


After finally extricating myself from the room, I found his regular social worker and shared my concerns.  "Oh, that is Mr. Gray for you."  he replied.  "He suffers from dementia and is a very unreliable historian."


We did take the proper steps and inform the right people that threats had been made.  And I moved to the next room.  But the term "unreliable historian" stuck with me.   


Lately I have been missing Spartanburg. This was brought on by Nathan's resurgence in blogging, an Early Girl lunch with Vicki and an episode of Off The Map where I was able to explain what was happening during an emergency surgical procedure.  And the pining began.  I miss watching the sunrise on the Saluda grade.  I miss crowding around a cafeteria table laughing.  I miss classes loaded with Ah Ha moments.  I miss my NICU babies and the excitement of the ER.  I miss the good old days.  Which probably classifies me as bit of an "unreliable historian."


The truth is that the Saluda sunrise was part of a daily three hour commute.  Cafeteria laughs were often yelps of disbelief at the lack of vegetarian options.  Wonderful Ah Ha moments were interspersed with CPE tears and frustration.  And the ER was hot, scary and sad.  They were good, life changing days.  But they were also long and hard.


What makes is all seem rosy is the growth that happened inside of me there.  And the camaraderie of the fine chaplains/Yaars/friends I was blessed to journey with.  I still find myself whirling around in my chair to share some part of my day with them.  I really miss you guys!


It also helps me to know that I come from a heritage of unreliable historians.  Which is why God wrote these beautiful words to such forgetful children.



2 Remember how the Lord your God led you through the wilderness for these forty years 10 When you have eaten your fill, be sure to praise the Lord your God for the good land he has given you.  11 “But that is the time to be careful! Beware that in your plenty you do not forget the Lord your God.. 15 Do not forget that he led you through the great and terrifying wilderness .17 He did all this so you would never say to yourself, ‘I have achieved this wealth with my own strength and energy.’ 18 Remember the Lord your God. He is the one who gives you power to be successful, in order to fulfill the covenant he confirmed to your ancestors with an oath.  Deuteronomy 8

1 comment:

  1. Oh, yes, so easy to forget and to pin inordinate rosiness to our memories!M6

    ReplyDelete