Friday, February 19, 2010

security

While roaming all corridors of the hospital at all hours of the night, frequent security guard sightings are comforting.  I'm familiar with all of them and we usually wave in passing.  One in particular I see a lot.  Pete. Stocky, shaved head, wrinkles etched into a scowl.   Tough guy.  I'm glad we are on the same team.  I wouldn't want to cross him.

I got paged late in the evening.  tragedy had happened.  The patient didn't make it.  Family had been summoned and had to be told.  Security had been called too, since this was a large family and the news would be unexpected.  I was glad to see old Pete.


What an awful hour.  When it was over and family had left, Pete and I ended up limping out the same door.  As he held it open for me I was surprised to see tears on his cheeks.  "Just isn't right, telling a daddy his kid is gone." he said.


Then he told me about his sister, sick in the hospital years ago with cancer.  How she talked about heaven and as she was dying they asked for God to give them a sign that she was in good hands.   She breathed her last.  30 seconds later all the lights in the hospital blinked.  Pete said "I knew then that it was ok.  I know i'm saved.  And that I was put here to help others in their hard times."


Sweet Pete.  Gives a whole new meaning to security.


"The word of the LORD you have spoken is good," Hezekiah replied. For he thought, "There will be peace and security in my lifetime."  Isaiah 39:8

2 comments:

  1. OMG, Pete, or whoever, is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. E, you bring out the very best in people. thanks for sharing this tender post!

    ReplyDelete