Saturday, February 13, 2010

kangaroo care

One of the most precious sights in NICU is a parent giving kangaroo care to their baby.  Skin on skin creates warmth and bonding for the baby's body and mind.  The parent's body smoothly regulates the baby's temperature and lulls the baby into a sound sleep.  


Though it seems so simple and natural, kangaroo care has proven successful in improving survival rates of premature and low birth weight newborns and in lowering the risks of infection, severe illness, and lower respiratory tract disease.


Today I sat with a mom doing kangaroo care with her 3 day old twin boys for the very first time.  She was tired but elated.  Little bare skin on her skin.  Little hands resting on her chest.  Little fuzzy heads.  Little tiny ears.  Tiny plump lips.  Totally relaxed.  For 2 whole minutes I wanted to have more babies.  Then I just wanted to be that peaceful and trusting.


That's right. Because I, your God,  have a firm grip on you and I'm not letting go.  I'm telling you, 'Don't panic.  I'm right here to help you.'  Isaiah 41:13

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that mommies of tiny babies can get that skin-on-skin time. Those are some of my most precious memories in the hospital--alone with my sleeping newborn on my chest. Absolute bliss! I totally understand your two whole minutes.

    ReplyDelete