Monday, February 22, 2010

ignorance

oh. my. goodness.  Every day at the hospital I see substantial gaps in intelligence and wisdom unfolding.


*a girl wheeled in for her third "texting while driving" accident.
*a boyfriend accidentally shooting his girlfriend while sitting together on the couch.
*people stepping outside the lobby of the cancer center to smoke.
*families bringing "picnics" of fried chicken, donuts and mountain dew to patients in the heart center.
*the lady serving in the lunch line who told me "I couldn't be a vegetarian because I hate all vegetables." (I'd hate them too if the all the veges I'd ever eaten were boiled in bacon juice.)


foolishness thrives.


but reading for our theology class today reminded me that we all miss something.


There is always something we're ignorant of about another person.  And often it turns out that the one thing we're ignorant of about another person was the most important.  T.S. Elliot


just reminds me that with each person I encounter there is so much I do not know or understand.  pain, triumphs, struggles, growth.  maybe the very thing that would make me see them clearly as precious, valuable people.


Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayers offered in this place. 2 Chronicles 7:15

2 comments: