Thursday, December 31, 2009

job descriptions




On my assignment sheet at hospice were several names of people who needed pastoral visits.  In the second room the patient was alone.  He nodded when I walked in.  But then was unresponsive.  I wasn't quite sure what I was supposed to do.  I felt the urge to bolt, but also wanted to honor the request for a chaplain.  I took his hand and began to talk....about the weather, the drive down the mountain, the view from his room, the nice quilt on his bed.  I hoped that if nothing else soothing tones would be comforting.   I stood in quiet for a few moments, then read Psalms 23 and prayed.


"What do you do as a chaplain?"  


Hhhmmm,  Well...I chatter.  I stand quietly.  I hold your hand.  I pray.  I hurt for you.  I hope you are OK. I wince.  I provide spiritual presence......


It continues to be hard to explain to someone what we do.  It's not feats of engineering.  It's not brain surgery.  It's rarely news worthy.  But it feels worthwhile.  And so often very satisfying.


I like this description from singer and song writer Conor Oberst.
I came upon a doctor who appeared in quite poor health.  I said, "There is nothing that I can do for you that you can't do for yourself."  He said, "Oh yes you can.  Just hold my hand.  I think that that would help."  So I sat with him a while then I asked him how he felt.  He said, "I think I'm cured."



For I hold you by your right hand— I, the Lord your God.  And I say to you ‘Don’t be afraid. I am here to help you.  Isaiah 41:13

5 comments:

  1. Living and dying hands were meant to be held! Thank God someone is called to hold hands among many other things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. another wonderfully detailed yet ambiguous description of what we're trying to do each day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful. yes, it gets harder and harder to describe what we "do" and I'm happy you are on this journey with me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful post. You have such a gentle, warm presence, Erin. You are just the kind of person to show a loving picture of God during a painful time.

    ReplyDelete