Tuesday, December 29, 2009

caught

I'm doing some reading to enrich my hospice rotation.  Henri Nouwen's book Our Greatest Gift has one of my favorite illustrations.  More than just great advice for end of life, it reminds me of how I want to live each day.


    " The Flying Rodleighs are trapeze artists who perform in the German circus Simoneit-Barum. When the circus came to Freiburg two years ago, my friends Franz and Reny invited me and my father to see the show. I will never forget how enraptured I became when I first saw the Rodleighs move through the air, flying and catching as elegant dancers. The next day, I returned to the circus to see them again and introduced myself to them as one of their great fans., They invited me to attend their practice sessions, gave me free tickets, asked me to dinner, and suggested I travel with them for a week in the near future. I did, and we became good friends.


     One day, I was sitting with Rodleigh, the leader of the troupe, in his caravan, talking about flying. He said, “As a flyer, I must have complete trust in my catcher. The public might think that I am the great star of the trapeze, but the real star is Joe, my catcher. He has to be there for me with split second precision and grab me out of the air as I come to him in the long jump.”


     “How does it work?” I asked. “The secret,” Rodleigh said, “is that the flyer does nothing and the catcher does everything. When I fly to Joe, I have simply to stretch out my arms and hands and wait for him to catch me and pull me safely over the apron behind the catchbar.”


     “You do nothing!” I said, surprised. “Nothing,” Rodleigh repeated. “The worst thing the flyer can do is to try to catch the catcher. I am not supposed to catch Joe. It’s Joe’s task to catch me. If I grabbed Joe’s wrists, I might break them, or he might break mine, and that would be the end for both of us. A flyer must fly, and a catcher must catch, and the flyer must trust, with outstretched arms, that his catcher will be there for him.”


     When Rodleigh said this with so much conviction, the words of Jesus flashed through my mind: “Father into your hands I commend my Spirit.” Dying is trusting in the catcher. To care for the dying is to say, “Don’t be afraid. Remember that you are the beloved child of God. He will be there when you make your long jump. Don’t try to grab him; he will grab you. Just stretch out your arms and hands and trust, trust, trust."


Into your hands I commit my spirit; redeem me, O LORD, the God of truth.  Psalm 31:5

4 comments:

  1. I have copied this page from your book and pray about it often. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok--seriously. Your story of the catcher and flier is amazing and such a beautiful metaphor. But I can't get past the fact that you went back the next day to tell them how you are a fan and ended up touring with them for a week. WHO DOES THAT??? Another bit of proof of how amazing you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe you are reading the old ones! This story was a quote from a book. SO it was not me touring but it is one of my favorite stories ever!

      Delete