Friday, April 22, 2011

easter

Last week we were in the least fun stage of buying a new car.  The finance part.  Putting on paper every detail about our work and history.  Signing our lives away.  The finance man scanned through the file.  "Wait.  You are a hospice chaplain?  Oh wow.  You guys are really incredible.  The work you do is so important."  He welled up.  Turns out, both his mother and father spent their last months in a good hospice program.  And he was sold on it.  When we left, he shook Steve's hand hard, and gave me a big hug.  "You kids keep up the good work."


Two days ago I walked in to a CVS pharmacy to buy shampoo.  The cashier glanced at my name tag as he rang up my purchase.  "Hey! Four Seasons hospice!  You people are the best.  You took care of my grandmother when she was dying three years ago. "  


"I'm new with the group." I told him.  "but I'm so glad she was well cared for."


"She was."  He responded.  "Thank you so much for everything."


I really like where I work, and who I work with.  And, as the new kid on the block, I owe so much to the ones who went before me.  Because of them, I am enjoying an identity I did not earn.  I receive accolades I didn't work for.  I'm grateful to be one of them, and inspired to follow in their footsteps.  


And then it hit me.  That's Easter in a nutshell.  


Because of God's sacrifice, I am enjoying an identity I did not earn.  I receive Grace I don't deserve.  I look forward to a future I couldn't acquire.  I owe everything to the One who loved me That Much.  I'm so grateful!  And inspired to follow in Those footsteps.


2 We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith.  Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne. 3 Think of all the hostility he endured from sinful people; then you won’t become weary and give up.  Hebrew 12:2,3

2 comments:

  1. "I am enjoying an identity I did not earn. I receive Grace I don't deserve. I look forward to a future I couldn't acquire. I owe everything to the One who loved me That Much."
    *Your* presence in this world, in God's alive kingdom, is grace to me and all whom you touch. And glory to God for that joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't we all just little interlopers cashing in on something so profound and undeserved-gifted with God Almighty! Your words are always a healing balm! M6

    ReplyDelete