Monday, October 11, 2010

power

I charted by myself today.  Big step.  I've been learning and apprenticing for weeks trying to learn the cumbersome computer system.  Usually my preceptor is close by to question or to help.  But this afternoon I was on my own.


I rocked for a while.  Then I messed up.  Charted a whole patient and my conversation with her daughter.  Saved it.  Locked it.  Then realized that for that patient I had talked to her son.  The daughter belonged to the next patient.   Arrgh.


But I knew what to do.  I called the IT desk, gave my name and number and asked them to "give me the power" to make a correction.  No kidding.  That is the phrase we use.  I've listened to my preceptor do it several times.  But this was the first time I'd asked for the power.


A moment later I was able to unlock, unsave, fix my mistake, resave, relock and move on.  What a little power can do!


On the drive home I shared my mishap with my mom.  She immediately made a connection to the spiritual power we need.  The Power.  The power to unlock, undo, fix, resave and move on in real life.  I remembered something I had read earlier -"that when we are overwhelmed and in need of some kind of escape there is a power greater than ourselves that can restore us to sanity."  Oh yeah,  time to make another kind of call.

God gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.  Isaiah 40:29

1 comment: