Sunday, September 19, 2010

ringing

I'm fighting the urge to be really intimidated.  Two weeks of shadowing seasoned hospice chaplains can do that to a person.


Chaplain #1 - warm and engaging, he is a college football fanatic.  And a Baptist.  And in room after room he is joking about team rivalries or kidding about denominational differences with long term patients.  By the third room, I thought "I'm never going to be able to do this."  I can't keep national teams straight much less local colors, mascots, players and histories.  I can't imagine getting get teased by a Methodist about differences in our neighboring churches.  If that is what a hospice chaplain is, I am in trouble.....


Chaplain #2 - capable and caring, she has a long background in nursing.  She reads the charts for medical history and recent illnesses, and asks the patients about their medications and blood pressure.  She feels this gives her a well rounded picture of each patient she ministers to.  I never can remember if 180/30 is great or terrible.  Someone's admission of dependance on Naltrexone means nothing to me.  If that is what a hospice chaplain is, I am in trouble...


Chaplain #3 - efficient and available, the patients love talking with him.  He is single and fills his free time with volunteering for overtime and weekend on calls.  He is the "go to guy", looking for something else to do.  My to do list is starting to make a four day weekend mandatory.  If this is what a hospice chaplain is, I am in trouble...


But wait a minute!  Enough with the comparing.  I am a great chaplain. A great non-footballed, non-medical, no free time Chaplain.  I can talk to anyone. Who needs sports and diseases when you can talk about history and food and locations and families and....... My new goal is to recognize what my #speciality is.


I love this quote from the Leonard Cohen song "Anthem". (via Elizabeth Edwards to Nate Berkus to Oprah )


Ring the bells that still can ring, forget your perfect offering.  There is a crack in everything: that's how the light gets in.

3 comments:

  1. OMG you ARE a great chaplain! You are #1 chaplain in my book. I agree - who needs sports and diseases when you have family, friends, an awesome blog and lovely boys to welcome you home. peace in your heart, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and my God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory. Don't know the text but...." is a pretty good promise, and besides-if I needed a chaplain you would always be at the top of my list-and I'm not prejudiced!! M2

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Vicki and all of the other chaplains who have shadowed you. You are a great chaplain. You have your own special way of connecting with patients and it is through that connection where true ministry begins.
    GJ

    ReplyDelete