Wednesday, September 29, 2010

mines

"You won't be left alone, nor have you been alone a single moment."


I read this quote to my boys and asked them who they thought had said it.  "Jesus!" they answered in unison.  


Yep, it sounds very familiar.  But I was reading this from Newsweek magazine.  This quote was spoken by Chilean President Sebastian Pinera, on the phone to the 33 Chilean miners who are trapped underground and could be there for several more months.


This week I was part of a process we call crisis care in Hospice.  When a patient begins to actively die, team members provide round-the-clock care, to be with the patient and support the family.  Whether the patient is conscious or not, they will not be left alone for a single moment.


And then there are the many, unremarkable, unsensational moments each week, when I am reminded of those words.  When an email, a text, a phone call, a get together serves as a lifeline from a dark spot or comforting companionship in a long night.  I am so thankful for the people in my life who embody God's promise of consistent presence.


Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you." Deuteronomy 31:6

2 comments: