Tuesday, September 21, 2010

in common

He showed me a picture of a young man and a young woman obviously in love.  "That was us sixty years ago.  We were meant to be.  Of course my mother-in-law didn't not think so.  She hated me.  They were Christian Scientists and I was a Roman Catholic."


But they got married anyway.  And had four children.  And survived wars and job changes and holidays and graduations.  In old age, her parents lived with them.  He was sitting at her mother's death bed one day when she feebly whispered something.  He bent close to hear it.  "Hold my hand."  He did.  She looked at him and said "You have been like a son to me. Thank you."


And in another room, another elderly man was reminiscing.   "My wife's family were all Jehovah's Witness. When we fell in love, I converted and joined her church.  My Methodist parents were furious.  They were threatening not to come to the wedding, to disown us...."


A friend of theirs talked to them.  "Was your son active in the Methodist church?"  "Not at all."  "Well, look at him now.  He's involved and consistent and passionate about his faith.  Why are you fighting this?"  A truce was formed.  But beyond that "my parents became best friends with my in-laws.  Best friends!  We were one big, happy, happy family for many, many years.


Love triumphs!  It is what brings us together then keeps us together.  I love how Henri Nouwen puts it.


"We are not alone; beyond the differences that separate us, we share one common humanity and thus belong to each other.  The mystery of life is that we discover this human togetherness not when we are powerful and strong, but when we are vulnerable and weak."

2 comments:

  1. great post. so wise of you to notice the common threads that weave lives together... now you have me reminiscing about A Fine Balance. peace

    ReplyDelete