Monday, April 12, 2010

protection

I was paged to MICU to pray with a patient who was being taken off life support.  When I got to the room, the nurse warned me that I needed to take MRSA precautions.  I sanitized, gowned, gloved, masked, prayed and resanitized.  A bit of work, but worth it for the patient and the protection.


On the way back to the office I passed 2 guys from Environmental Services changing batteries in the smoke detectors.  I exchanged hellos with a security guard, noticing the gun and holster at his waist.  It reminded me that there is more than germs in this hospital that I am being protected from.


On the way into my case study evaluation - a nerve wracking meeting with 3 board certified chaplains - my supervisor stopped me and gave me a pep talk.  "You are a great pastor.  You know how to connect and care for your patients. Don't forget that in there."  His encouragement formed a shield of protection around me during the meeting.


And then a trauma call to the emergency center.  I sat in the consult room with a mom and a dad as they waited for news from their young teenage childrens car accident.   The news was shocking.  Their son had seven broken bones and would need several surgeries.  Their daughter didn't make it.


I grabbed the box of kleenex.  Taking a few for me, I handed it to the parents.  It struck me that in a hospital full of gowns and guns and alarms, a flimsy box of kleenex was no protection at all from this devastating news.  I felt so vulnerable in the midst of such intense grief and horror. Defenseless and helpless as we waited together.


In a few minutes Grandpa arrived.  He was a large man with an aura of calm and gentleness that cut through the hysteria and brutality of the day.  He held his daughter and called for a circle of prayer.  His words were solid and heartfelt.  It was obvious that his faith was as deep as his pain and had been vital long before this day dawned or this accident rocked us.  His faith blanketed the room, a hedge of protection wrapped around broken, wounded souls.

I am in pain and distress; may your salvation, O God, protect me.   Psalm 69:29

4 comments:

  1. beautiful words. may God wrap a cloak of love around you for renewal and restoration...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to be like Grandpa! I want Erin around if I am grieving! M6

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful. I wish emotions had automatic mersa precautions

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a gift to connect and always have the right words...maybe that is why I'm always whining to you. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete