Sunday, November 16, 2014

bucket lists

One of my bucket list items is to make a bucket list.  I can't believe I don't have one.  I love lists!  I have a huge imagination and love to dream.  I get so excited hearing about other people's lists and what they have checked off.  And I keep starting my bucket list:
*See every square inch of Ireland
*Write a book
*Visit all 50 States
*Recover my dining room chairs
*Clean my bathroom
*Make sure Josh practiced the trumpet today. Oh dear,  I'm sliding into another list.

This month I got to do two things that would have been on my bucket list if I'd had one.


Josh's class had a week of outdoor ed and on the last day they went zip lining.  As they talked about zipping through the trees I realized that I have always been intrigued by this.  It sounded so adventurous and fun.  I immediately volunteered to chaperone and join in.


And it was awesome.  A huge, modern/rustic building and outdoorsy staff welcomed us in to get into our harnesses.  They talked us through the swinging through the treetops, platform by platform down the mountain. Total bucket list worthy.


But... It was 23 degrees outside.  We stood on the first platform for over 30 minutes learning the ropes and waiting our turn.  I had dressed in layer upon layer.  Yet my hands and feet grew numb with cold.  I was the last one in our group to go.  My heart was pounding as I stepped off the platform.  Nothing prepared me for the speed and freezing air that made my eyes water so badly that I couldn't see the instructor motion for me to get in landing position.  So I hit the endzone unprepared and swung around wildly for a moment.  "There is no way I am going to survive this day" I thought to myself, while I smiled and told the class what fun I was having.


Once I got my footing on Platform 1 I found out that one of the students already there had been badly shaken by the zip.  I looked in his eyes and realized that enough was enough for him.  The instructor radio'ed back to base that they were sending him back.  Then the instructor turned to me and said "you will have to go with him."  Wait!  I'm in the middle of a once-in-a-life time bucket list experience.  I can't stop now.  I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.  To be relieved or disappointed.


So they rappelled the two of us off the seventy foot platform.  Had I ever thought to put rappelling on my bucket list I could have checked that off too.  We hiked back to camp.  We told each other that we had indeed zip lined. And on the longest and steepest run.  So I guess that's a check.


My friend Daina gave me her last session of acupuncture when she moved to Honduras.  I have always been curious about the whole idea of paying someone to stick you with needles.  And heard miracle stories of the effectiveness of this treatment.  It should have been on the bucket list.  So I made the appointment.


I met with the needle lady.  She did a through background check of my medical background.  Asked all kinds of interesting questions.  She talked about my blocked chakras and energy fields.  Then she stuck tiny needles into corresponding "blocked" areas - my forehead, my hand, my legs and between my toes.  That one hurt!  I laid quietly listening to soothing music and unblocking, hopefully.


And then it was over.  I don't think you can judge much from one session.  I'm also not sure when another  $70 needle stick will make it to the top of my to do list.  So I guess that's a check too.


I learned a German proverb while I was in Spartanburg.  Nacher is jeder klug.  In English it means "Afterwards, everyone is smart." It's like "well now you know." Not every thing you do will change your life.  But you don't know til you try.


I still want to make a bucket list.  And keep adding things retroactively so I can reappreciate my adventures.

Seeing The Lost Colony play on the Outer Banks with my parents and family should have been on my bucket list.  It was awesome!  Unforgettable.  Check.

Making the Martha Stewart Pumpkin Bread Pudding for Thanksgiving that I have been eyeing for a year.  eeehhh.  Once was enough.  Check.

Now I know...

1 comment:

  1. I love bucket lists! i find them inspiring and they encourage purposeful living--all about it. And I love that you got a taste of ziplining. That's on MY bucket list actually!

    ReplyDelete