Wednesday, June 2, 2010

pending

One of our routine chaplain duties is to promptly conduct a stroke assessment on any patient coming into the hospital with anything resembling a stroke.  Our assessment is to include patient's awareness of diagnosis, prognosis, family support, faith community support and emotional status.  After a conversation with the patient or their family we log all this information into the computer.  We don't think anyone ever reads our carefully obtained information, but we continue to assess.


One of the answer boxes we check says PENDING.  "Mrs. Jones, do you know why you're here at the hospital?"  "Well, my left side is numb, but we are waiting to hear what the doctor says."  PENDING.    "Mr. Smith, how soon will you be able to go home?"  "I won't know til we get the test results back."  PENDING.


PENDING.  While waiting for or anticipating.  Not yet decided, confirmed, or finished.  Imminent. Awaiting conclusion or confirmation.  Those are hard words for people who don't like to wait.  For patients wondering about their chances.  For families worried about their loved ones.  For chaplains curious about what the rest of their life might be like.....


In the last couple days I've gotten a few hints.  I'm going to stay at this hospital for an extra quarter.  That happened out of the blue.   I've survived two rounds of interviews with one really great hospice in my home town, made some great job contacts, and have an interview with another hospital tomorrow.  It's looking like I may have a couple part time deals at the end of the summer.  They may lead to more.  It's all pending.


And in the mean time....I'm trying to learn to pend in peace.  To pend joyfully and faithfully.


Let all that I am wait quietly before God, for my hope is there.  Psalm 62:5

3 comments:

  1. hurry up and wait. so often that is the worst part. uhg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoever hires you on will be lucky to have you.

    Waiting is the worst, isn't it? But I'm learning to wait faithfully--still trying to wait joyfully. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Wait" is very often paired with "hope" in the Bible. I did a word study a while back and it amazed me.

    ReplyDelete