Wednesday, June 23, 2010

big


I forgot how big God is.  I didn't know I forgot.  But today I remembered that I had forgotten.

I have eight new classmates/coworkers/chaplains.  They come from all over the country, from different denominations,  different seminaries, with different calls and different spiritual journeys.  I am so enriched by hearing their perspectives and the voices that call them to God.

This morning Ronnie finished his on-call with a devotional at morning report.  He shared a worship story and song by his favorite worship leader.   I had never heard of this leader, but the song was beautiful and it moved me.

Shaundra speaks up in class adding spunk and depth.  Today she quoted two teachers that influenced her at Harvard Divinity College.  I loved the ideas she shared.

Taylor is preaching this week at her church's Presbyterian convention.  After lunch we gathered in the chapel to hear a preview.  Her combination of words, ideas and stories kept us on the edge of our seats and taught us a new way of looking at an old Bible story. 

And that's just three of them.  All during the week I hear stories from a nurse turned chaplain, a teacher turned chaplain, an engineer turned chaplain, and another pastor turned chaplain.  I get to hear eight people pray, each using phrases and names for God that are comfortably familiar to them and new to my ears.  

Each of them have unique mountain top stories.  And testimonies of how God has walked with them through valleys.  It reminds me that there is no limit to God's reach and creativity and choice of voices.  And there will be no finish line in my learning.


Nancy Ortberg, in her book Looking For God, writes "when we give ourselves permission to vary our spiritual routines, we emerge with a broader, multifaceted view of our great God.  What a joy to realize that from the time we wake up in the morning until the moment we lay our head on the pillow to sleep, we have been given a  variety of extraordinary ways to connect with our extraordinary God."

"Take a long, hard look. See how great God is—infinite, greater than anything you could ever imagine or figure out! Job 36:26 The Message

2 comments:

  1. Yes! I have learned this so late in life. Creativity...His very essence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine all of them saying similar things about you!

    ReplyDelete