Sunday, May 9, 2010

prechaplaining

I was looking out my window, enjoying the breeze through the trees.  I was aware of a car pulling out of our neighborhood and then POW!  I watched a car T right into it.


And then silence.  Another car stopped and the driver jumped out.  Two neighbors heard the crash and ran to the scene.  I could see the airbags had deployed.  Passers by were now redirecting traffic and calling on their cell phones.  In minutes a fire engine came sirening up.  Then a police car.  Then an ambulance.  The rescue workers jumped out and took charge.


Two people were pulled from the cars and carried out on stretchers.  As the ambulances were pulling out a tow truck drove up to pull the wrecked cars out of the busy street.


Then I realized that somewhere a trauma bay was being readied.  And a chaplain was being paged.


Hasten, O God, to save me; O LORD, come quickly to help me.  Psalm 70:1

1 comment:

  1. ouch! I, too, have found that my perspective is a bit singed when I see accidents. I think we are forever changed by this year.

    ReplyDelete