Monday, January 18, 2010

down down down

During busy on-call nights I spend a lot of time in the elevator.  I push the #1 button for first floor and wait for the inevitable, robotic words - "Going Down".  Sometimes I don't  even hear them.  But on dark nights, with many trips to the ER and Onc, when I'm already tired and overwhelmed, when there have been too many weepy verbatims and too few weekends, the elevator voice feels prophetic.  "Erin, you are going down."

Our supervisor continues to remind us of the riches to be mined from down times. That we need to befriend the darkness.  William James refers to..."the blessing of the "twice born", those who have experienced real distress in their lives and yet have managed to make meaning from that experience.  Because of their experiences, these "twice born" understand and embrace the richness of life that incorporates suffering.  Those who have suffered are often more sensitive to and compassionate with others who are suffering."

Here's to hoping that going down gets us somewhere better!

And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. 2 Corinthians 9:8 NIV

2 comments:

  1. When I read it earlier today, I already quoted the last sentence of this excerpt in my quotes list. great minds thinking alike once again.

    ReplyDelete