Sunday, December 28, 2014

napkins

I always forget napkins.  The table will be set, food is hot, family gathered, and someone will say "do we have any napkins?"  I will jump back up and grab a handful of paper towels.  Because "no we do not EVER have napkins."  The paper towel thing is fine when it is just the four of us on a week night.  We aren't fancy.  But for Thanksgiving or Easter or weekends with company? When a lot of work has gone into making the table look nice....the wad of paper towels just doesn't cut it.  Must remember to get napkins!

Which is why I was so tickled when my in-laws showed up around noon on Christmas with a package of beautiful Christmassy paper napkins.  "We thought you might need these," my mother-in-law said as she handed them to me.  I did!  They brought many other things, boxes of presents, food and drink, but those napkins are still making me smile.  I think it's the great combination of being truly known, and truly taken care of.

I felt that combination with the cozy pink coat from my parents.  It's a continuing gift of fresh color and warmth as I stand outside and greet students every morning.  And the afternoon trip to Sensibilities Spa with my sister-in-law from my brother's family. It was the perfect mix of quiet relaxation and fun chattering.   And my fitbit from Steve and the boys - just the right incentive and social competition that I needed.   I could go on...

Christmas can be a great physical reminder of God's abundant love.  My God will richly supply all your needs through Christ Jesus.  Philippians 4:19 .  It was for me this year, and I am so grateful.

And there were more napkins.  Later in the day I unwrapped a package of cream-colored cloth napkins with words of gratitude printed in black script.  I had seen them at Pier One, thought they would be great for Thanksgiving and hinted that I wanted them.  (Can it still be called hinting if you call your mother-in-law and say "I really want these specific napkins from this specific store"?)  

One of my resolutions for 2015 is to Use It Up.  Don't save things for later.  I tend to tuck things away for a special occasions -soft scarves, gift boxes of unique tea flavors, pretty candles, the good plates or better silverware. But NOW is a special occasion.  Dinners on Wednesday evenings and baths on Tuesday nights, and getting dressed for cold Monday mornings.  Use It Up is a regular reminder to live in the moment, that my family is worth it, that I am worth it.   I have been inspired by Gretchen Rubin's call to spend it out and Shauna Niequist's burn the candles post, and want to live into this paradigm. 

So Friday night I pulled out the beautiful Thanksgiving napkins and set the table with candles.  I controlled my wincing as spaghetti mouths were wiped on the new napkins.  They can be washed.  And if they don't make it til next Thanksgiving think of all the gratitude-infused meals we will enjoy in the mean time.

The paper towels can wait.

2 comments:

  1. The napkin thing is familial/maternal. I so often forget to place napkins on the table or offer them to an unexpected guest/snack. But it is so lovely anticipate needs and have them provided to you! You are one of the best at that in spite of your napkin lapses!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh--I love this! I am far too guilty far too many times of forgetting to "relish"--of saving for the perfect time until, well, the perfect time came and went and I never used it. I remember one time as a little girl my parents bought me this set of connect the dot pictures that fit inside a special envelope. I loved them and was so excited about them--and decided to save them for the perfect occasion. When I packed for college, I found that envelope--the connect the dot pictures still tucked inside and perfectly unused! I love the idea of making "now" a time of celebration--simply because this is my life and we have the privelege of living it.

    ReplyDelete