Sunday, September 28, 2014

dayenu

It's one of the realities of school life in 2014 - We have several students with food allergies.  One of the third grade boys is allergic to gluten.   I am too, so I am very sympathetic. His parents arranged to bring g-free muffins and donuts in and put them in our freezer.  That way if someone in his class has party or brings treats he won't be left out.  They arrived with a big bag of deliciousness and on their way to the kitchen, handed me a fresh loaf of g-free rye bread.

Rewind.  I have always been a sandwich girl.  Put it between two pieces of bread and I am happy.  Gluten intolerance and carb watching have put an enormous dent in my joy.  Once in a blue moon I will make a Udi's bread sandwich and feel content.

But this rye bread was exceptional.  It had that rye-ie smell.  It had the little rye seeds.  It was soft and promised delicious sandwiches.  I stopped at the store on the way home and bought sharp cheddar cheese, a cucumber and two tomatoes.  I swooned.  I had sandwiches for breakfast, for lunch and for dinner.  With every bite I thought "If this was the only food in the world, it would be enough."

And every time I said that it reminded me of a paragraph from Naked Spirituality.  Finally I got the book out and found this quote.

There is a Hebrew word.  Dayenu. The word is from a Jewish song that has been a key part of the passover celebration for over a thousand years.  It means, "It would have been enough," and it functions within the retelling of the story of God's goodness over the generations:
If God had brought us out of Egypt, Dayenu - it would have been enough.
If God had split the sea for us, Dayenu-it would have been enough.
If God had led us through on dry land, Dayenu -it would have been enough.
If God had provided for our needs in the wilderness for forty years, Dayenu - it would have been enough.
If God had fed us manna, Dayenu -it would have been enough
If God had given us Shabbat, Dayenu - it would have been enough.

Singing this song fills one with a sense of surplus, of being superabundantly blessed, of being saturated with good things, of one's cup being full and running over.  And it fills one with a corresponding appreciation of God's unlimited generosity:  Dayenu-but there's more!  Dayenu but there's more! and more, and more!  Thanks be to God!"  Naked Spirituality Brian BcLaren

I love the spirit of gratitude that seems to be growing.  I see gratitude lists on facebook, and books on gratitude continue to be published.

I will add a few from my list.
My three boys. Healthy and happy.
My phone, which keeps me connected, at the touch of a button, to my faraway family
Weekends.  And the God who invented Sabbath.
My 205,000 mile car which is still limping along.
My cozy house
My high styling office (thank you Angela.  That's a whole 'nother post....)
And the genius baker who made G-free rye bread.  Dayenu!

2 comments:

  1. What a nice lady to bring you "rye" bread! I've picked up Naked Spirituality again thanks to you! Yes, so much to be grateful for-Dayenu! M2

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read that book but I think I'm going to have to find it! Sounds fabulous. I too love the art of gratefulness. Such a beautiful way to live. :)

    ReplyDelete