Friday, May 9, 2014

thunder

After a night of crazy, violent electric storms and crashing thunder, our alarms went off at 3:00 am.  Jake was heading to Puerto Rico on his class/mission trip.  We pulled his sweat shirt out of the dryer.  Packed a travel breakfast in a plastic bag.  Rechecked the packing list.  Loaded the car.  Hugged again. And headed to the school in steady rain.  At 4:00 am  Jake boarded a bus of excited, pumped-up 8th graders and still-waking-up sponsors.   And I made myself get back in my car, willed myself not to cry, reminded myself that he is a big boy, and big boys go on trips with their friends and are fine.

Half way home, Steve called.  "Are you alright?"  

"Yes, just a little weepy."
"Oh yeah.  But also, I just heard a huge bang and wanted to make sure it wasn't you."
Suddenly I heard an explosion.  And saw a quick bright light.
"There is is again." Steve said.  "Wow.  That is near our house."

I came around the corner and saw a tree that had been shattered by lightening and fallen across power lines.  Maybe hit an electrical box too.  For a moment it was very quiet.  And dark.  All electricity was off in our neighborhood.  By the time I pulled into our driveway, sirens were screaming and headed our way.


Steve brought a flashlight out and I made my way back to bed.  I laid there trying to figure out how our morning routine would be altered without power.  Listening to the sirens and ceaseless rain.  (How miserable to be out there working in this.)  And missing Jake.  Then I fell asleep.


Two hours later I woke up to the whirring of our ceiling fan and a glow of light from the kitchen.  Power was back.  Talented people working in the dark and rain had sawed up the tree, put the lines back up and fixed the box.  Our morning was back on track.


 I read somewhere that sleeping is an act of spiritual trust.  Psalms 3:5 says I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.  This morning, with our power back on, I thought about how God is up all night. Listening, caring, seeing, moving, calming.  And like our utility team, working to restore everlasting power and light.  

Have courage for the great sorrows in life, and patience for the small ones. And when you have laboriously accomplished your daily tasks, go to sleep in peace. God is awake. -Victor Hugo

1 comment:

  1. Aw. I love this post. It's tough watching those cute kids of ours grow up and start doing big kid things, eh? That Jake is pretty amazing. I'm so excited that we get to snatch him away next year because I know he's going to do amazing things on our Pisgah campus! Good job, Mom. And Happy Belated Mother's Day! You're one fantastic mama.

    ReplyDelete