Monday, December 9, 2013

the whole picture

definition: Holusion - a trademark for an apparently meaningless pattern that holds a three-dimensional image inside if you know how to look for it.

Do you remember about 20 years ago, when these 3D pictures were the big thing?  I do.  Vividly.  Because I could not see the secret picture.  For a while I thought the whole thing was a joke - like cow tipping or snipe hunting.  I waited to be let in on the secret laugh.

directions: with the art almost touching your nose, just stare as if you were trying to look right through the page. Slowly pull back a little bit. When the art is at comfortable view distance, the image should come into focus.  If it doesn't don't worry.  It may take several attempts before you see it.

But, I was promised, there is something there.  So I kept reading the directions.  And using the transparent sheet.  And slowly pulling the picture back from my nose.  Then one day I saw it!  I went from picture to picture practicing until I could go immediately see the 3D image in each frame.

I thought about Holusion art this week.  I spend lots of time in nursing home rooms talking to very elderly, wizened, gummy-smiled people in wheel chairs and railed beds.  But the longer I spend with them, the more I realize that they weren't always frail and bent.  On their walls are pictures of them as young soldiers, beautiful brides, strong fathers, resourceful mothers, beloved parents and adored friends.  This week I talked to a career logger, a published writer, a man who hiked the entire Appalachian trail and a woman who raised eight children.  I  learned about selling Corvettes in the 1950's and how to bake to-die-for biscuits in a wood burning oven.  

As I hear their stories all the parts of them become visible, filling in their wrinkles, straightening their backs.  Beyond oxygen tubes and paper thin skin I am learning to see the vibrant, integral people they have been, the souls of great value they are.  I am learning to recognize the twinkle in an eye or  a clever retort that helps me quickly glimpse the 3D person.  The whole, beautiful, illustrious picture.

note:  Don't be in too much of a hurry.  Some people are unable to see the art because the moment they start to see part of the image, they rivet their attention on the obvious pattern.  Remember, stay relaxed and keep looking through the page until the whole picture appears.

from Holusion Art, NVision Grafix, Inc

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness--what a beautiful perspective. I can relate to never being able to see the image in those 3D pictures! And I love how you bring it around to compare to people and how, when we try, we can see so much more than frailty and age and thin skin. A great reminder, Erin. :)

    ReplyDelete