Tuesday, August 30, 2011

fruit

All summer I have been reading a book. I'm reading it slowly because it is so rich.  It is both challenging and comforting.  It is practical and ethereal at the same time. I highlight and reread over and over as I move through the book. The author states that he wrote this book because it is the kind of book he wished someone had given him at several points during his own spiritual journey, during periods of doubt and struggle.  Now I have it for my journey.  Here's the premise.


You need a life centered on simple, doable, durable practices that will help you begin and sustain a naked encounter with the holy mystery and pure loving presence that people commonly call God....  By centering around these twelve words our spiritual life becomes our way of remaining awake to God and aliveness, our way of being at home in the universe.  Naked Spirituality, Brian McLaren


Each time I read I feel a deeper love for God, and am more inspired to live a grounded, generous life.


This week at a friend's house, I picked up a book on their coffee table.  It was obviously a religious book.  One minute of skimming and I found that the author was ranting about a dangerous threat to Christians. "What's this book about?" I asked.  "It's about centering prayers." my friend replied.  "How they mix Buddhism into Christianity and lead Christians off track.


Really?  That's the most dangerous threat you can imagine facing Christians?  Not apathy or loneliness or hypocrisy....but centering prayers?   Some of the same ideas that have revived me this summer?  Huummm.  I took six very Buddhist deep breaths and stepped away from the book.


Last night I watched the movie American President again. Love it! But Michael Douglas' rousing presidential speech at the end took on a new meaning.


We have serious problems to solve, and we need serious people to solve them. And whatever your particular problem is, I promise you, Bob Rumson is not the least bit interested in solving it. He is interested in two things and two things only: making you afraid of it and telling you who's to blame for it. 


As Christians we have serious problems to solve, ...and some people are only  interested in two things: making you afraid of it and telling you who's to blame for it. 


Jesus had an even more simple guide.  By their fruits you will know them.  Matthew 7:20

2 comments:

  1. Preach it, Sista!!! Being on the same journey-enjoying the same book and love, love, loving the "Bob Rumsford" informing, I am "amen"ing and hand clapping this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, I'm laughing my head off picturing you delicately putting down and walking away from a book that was burning your adventist hands. Does that make you a 7th day advuddha? Or maybe a Buddhventist?!

    Someone recently gave me a copy of Naked Spirituality and I'm excited to read it.

    Hope you are well, and I miss my yaars. N

    ReplyDelete