Friday, August 13, 2010

afterwards

The Germans have a little proverb I recently read: "Nacher is jeder klug!" In English it means: "Afterwards, everyone is smart."


Afterwards.....


After 14 months of CPE.  After 150* deaths, 42 overnights, 108 IPR's, 59 Advance Directives, 56 Supervisions,  lots of verbatims, team meetings, PAG sessions, and inter-office huddles.  After hundreds of lunches around the cafeteria tables, and over a thousand visits.  After laughter and tears and frustrations and ah ha moments.
(*very approximate numbering)


Afterwards.  I think of the people I love dearly that I didn't know 14 months ago.   I remember the patients that moved me, their stories becoming part of my story.  I reflect on the classes and discussions and ideas that enhanced and altered me.  I am forever indebted to and grateful for the people who supported me with love and phone calls and encouragement every step of the journey.  I am proud of the skills I've learned and the confidence I've gained.  And despite the long hours and grueling self work, I'm so very thankful for this opportunity.


Afterwards.  I see how, right at the end of four units of CPE, I got the chance to stay for one more summer unit.  And two days before that unit ended I got the job offer I had been wishing and hoping for.  Afterwards it looks so smooth and easy.  I wish I could have known that, and skipped the months of frantic hair pulling and panicky doubt.


Afterwards.  After On Call - The Spartanburg Year.  I've got a week off.  A week to do all the things I didn't do all year because I was driving down the mountain every day.  A week to sleep in or get up early, to putter and organize, to cook a little and drive my boys to school.  To see a movie with my friends and eat lunch with my sister in law.  I am very excited about this week!!!


And then I start over.  A new team, new buildings, new patients, new things to learn.  Maybe a fresh blog.  The beginning of a new Afterwards.  But as CPE guru Robin says "You take everything you've learned with you to the next place."  


I hope so!


The faithful love of the Lord never ends!  God's mercies never cease.  Great is God's faithfulness; with mercies beginning afresh each morning. I say to myself, “The Lord is my inheritance; that's where I will place my hope!”  Lamentations 3:22-24

3 comments:

  1. after WORDS: you fill the world with so much light and hope. thank you for sharing your experience with me.
    forever your yaar, in that fine balance - xxoo Vickster

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that you have finally made it to the afterwards! And SO happy for the new job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post. Thank you. And I'm fair sure you had more on calls than approximated above. I'm guessing somewhere in the 60s. Hope the new job is going great!

    ReplyDelete