Friday, March 12, 2010

wow

Gowned and gloved, booted and masked, I stood in a small labor and delivery room ready to watch my first non-Miller baby enter the world.  I got light headed as the giant epidural needle was jammed into mom's back.  I can still remember how that felt.  But the rest of the experience was foreign to me.  I winced as an incision was made in mom's abdomen.  Then another layer was sliced.  Then another.  I gagged a bit as amniotic fluid geysered out.  (sorry squeemies)  But then, out of all the scalpels and clamps and blood, out came a beautiful baby boy.  6 pounds 7 ounces.  10 fingers, 10 toes.  Perfect ears, big feet, and a sprinkling of dark hair.  He was given the rub down and immediately got pink and indignant.  I got to motion dad over, from behind mom's anesthesia curtain, to come see his son for the very first time.


WOW.  Let's just pause at that for a minute....  WOW.


Really, it is a miracle.  Two people created a baby.  It grew inside of her.  Into a perfect, unique human being. And then, at the right time,  he emerged, one minute breathing liquid, the next moment breathing air. WOW.


And then I thought about how God seems to have a lot of plan B's.  There is the way it is "supposed" to go.  And for some people it does.  But other times there are complications, problems, disasters.


And then there is plan B.  Not the end or hopelessness.  Just a good doctor and a good clean knife.  A creative solution.  A new way through.

This year has been my c-section.  Painful and messy and not at all what I had planned.  But also necessary and life saving.  And if an earthly mom will go through all this for her baby, maybe I can trust that God will keep making a way for me. WOW!


Hey precious little baby.  It's my Birth Day too!

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  Jeremiah 29:11

3 comments:

  1. this is perhaps your best blog ever. i squeemed and winced and teared up... always remember that you ROBK

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ROBK too! Picture this image: Right now, God has that suction thing stuck to your head, pulling you out of the amniotic fluid of your life. Are you pink and fussy yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHEN are you making this into a book? WHEN?

    ReplyDelete