Tuesday, May 4, 2010

how long?

There is a question I hear over and over.  In the trauma bay -"how long did he go without oxygen?  In the waiting room - "how long till we get some news?"  In Oncology -"how long do we have?  The answers are always vague and unsatisfying.


How long?  It is a question I ask too.  When my future stretches blankly before me.  When I am tired of waiting.  When I wonder how many hurdles are still awaiting me.  Just tell me!  My mom recently reminded me that I have always hated to wait, to not know. 


It helps to see my impatience and frustration mirrored in the pages of the Bible.


My soul is in anguish. How long, O LORD, how long?  Psalm 6:3


How long, O LORD ? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me?  Psalm 13:1


How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me?Psalm 13:2


O Lord, how long will you look on? Rescue my life from their ravages, my precious life from these lions
Psalm 35:17


How long, O LORD ? Will you hide yourself forever? How long will your wrath burn like fire? Psalm 89:46


How long must your servant wait? When will you punish my persecutors?Psalm 119:84


How long, O LORD, must I call for help, but you do not listen? Or cry out to you, "Violence!" but you do not save?  Habakkuk 1:2


They called out in a loud voice, "How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?"  Revelation 6:10


And some hints of an answer...


"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem..., how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings! Luke 13:34


You, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ.  Ephesians 3:18


"Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the LORD will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again.  Exodus 14:13
 
Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the LORD will be with you.' "2 Chron 20


I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your crown.  Revelation 3:11

3 comments:

  1. ...and how long till I get to come and visit you again, I ask! A very meaningful treatise on waiting and not knowing, born of the fire. Looking forward to your life "answers"! M6

    ReplyDelete